Angry Birds Star Wars is an Angry Birds game for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad, which launched on November 8th, 2012. The game was first shown on the Angry Birds Facebook page. The game parodies Star Wars, a 1977 film series directed by George Lucas, and loosely follows its storyline.
The game combines elements of both Angry Birds and Angry Birds Space, featuring levels that take place on both standard terrain and in outer space. The game begins on Luke Skywalker's homeworld; Tatooine. With the exclusion of the Blue Birds, all the Birds are given new powers not yet seen in a canon Angry Birds title, some of these being upgraded as the game progresses further. One difference is that a Bird may still perform his/her chosen ability moments after becoming a Corpse. This is the first game where players can update your birds and second game that you can play as Darth Vader (Default).
- Red as Luke Skywalker/Darth Vader
- Bomb as Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Chuck as Han Solo/Lando Carlissian
- Terrance as Chewbacca
- Stella as Princess Leia
- The Blues as Rebel Pilots
- Matilda as C-3P0
- Egg as R2-D2
- New Bird as Yoda
- King Pig as Emperor Palpatine
- Minion Pigs as Stormtroopers/Tusken Raiders/Imperial Officers/Tie Fighter Pilots/Bat Pigs
- Corporal Pig as Death Star Troopers/Boba Fett/Imperial Royal Guards
- Foreman Pig as Grand Moff Tarkin
- Fat Pig as Fat Bat Pig
- Red Bird: Luke Skywalker Bird: Red begins as the standard Red Bird, but gains a Lightsaber early in the game that allows him to inflict greater damage in a wider radius by swinging the Saber. The Saber can be used to deflect laser shots the Bad Piggies fire at the Birds directly back at the Pigs or other structures. His power is updated in Path of the Jedi, where he gains a green lightsaber. It has no effect on the bird.
- Pink Bird: Princess Leia Bird: Sacrificing her bubble-blowing power for a new pull beam, Stella can use this to tug out objects from their original position, causing the structure to become less stable. Her power is updated in Cloud City, firing more pull beams.
- Yellow Bird: Han Solo Bird: At the cost of losing his ability to dash, Chuck becomes armored with a laser pistol which is like the ones occasionally used by the Pigs. Tapping any part of the screen will cause Chuck to fire three lasers in that direction, which damages objects but ricochets off metal blocks, while still causing minor damage. His power is updated in Moon of Endor, shooting more powerful blue rays.
- Big Brother Bird: Chewbacca Bird: Terrence still remains one of the stronger of the Birds, but now causes small tumors where he lands, which can misplace and damage nearby objects. His power is updated in Hoth, creating a more powerful earthquake when he hits any structures.
- Black Bird: Obi-Wan Kenobi Bird: No longer being able to explode, Bomb is given the power of the "Force", which allows him to use telekinesis to launch blocks and debris at enemies. Later on, this ability is updated in Death Star, allowing Bomb to increase the range of the "Force", pushing objects farther.
- Blue Birds: Rebel Pilot Birds: The Blues retain their original ability to multiply from other games in the Angry Birds series, with no enhancements. During the Death Star 2 update, an upgrade made them create small explosions when they hit blocks, allowing them to knock down wood and metal easier.
- Chuck-Styled Brown Bird: Lando Bird: He is introduced in Cloud City. He's armed with a laser pistol which is exactly like the ones occasionally used by Han Solo, but it launches three laser beams in three directions. His power is updated in Death Star 2, allowing him to shoot more powerful blue rays.
Exclusive to Droid Levels
- White Bird: C-3PO: A Droid built in Matilda's image, its primary ability is self-destructing into five body parts. The body parts can damage structures and pop pigs.
- Space Egg: R2-D2: Modeled after the Space Characters from Angry Birds Space, the Egg can no longer produce black holes, but instead emits an electric shock that can destroy any surrounding Pigs in an instant.
- Yoda-Styled Bird: Yoda: A wise Jedi Master residing on the planet Dagobah. In Path of the Jedi, Red Skywalker had to travel to Dagobah so he could learn the ways of the Force from Yoda. Yoda succeeded in teaching Red the ways of the Jedi by the end of Path of the Jedi.
- Jawa Birds: Jawas: Minor characters who serve no purpose other than to sell R2-D2 and C-3PO to Red Skywalker.
- Tusken Raider Pigs: The weakest members of the Pig Empire. They are seen on the Tatooine levels.
- Stormtrooper Pigs: The main soldiers of the Pig Empire. They are able to use blasters to throw off the Birds' accuracy.
- Imperial Officers
- TIE-Fighter Pigs: These pigs are shaped like Star Wars TIE-Fighters, the main fighter used by the Galactic Empire. These pigs float around in space and are much harder to hit.
- Death Star Trooper Pigs
- Moustache Pig: Grand Moff Tarkin
- Darth Vader (Lard Vader): The evil, machine-pig-hybrid is a master at using the Dark Side of the Force. Vader was the main villain of the original Star Wars trilogy and plays the same role in Angry Birds Star Wars. He is playable in the last level of Death Star 2, after beating Emperor Palpatine, but is only used to defeat him.
- King Pig: Emperor Palpatine: The King Pig plays the role of the Emperor, the main antagonist of Star Wars as a whole. He can be seen in Death Star 2, where he is situated on a spinning chair. If the four bars fill up, Emperor Palpatine will spin his chair (and playing the classic cartoon whirling sound), causing him to change the height of his chair. If the four bars are empty, he cannot produce any lightning bolts, allowing the birds and blocks to attack him.
- Boba Fett: A pig that is a bounty hunter.
Differences between Star Wars and Angry Birds Star Wars
- Red and Obi-Wan fight their way through the Jundland Wastes, similar to LEGO Star Wars II. This is unlike the movie, where Luke and Obi-Wan simply head to Obi-Wan's hut without any encounters with the Sand People.
- Almost every enemy in the game is a pig, probably to make the game more Angry Birds-friendly.
- Obi-Wan stays hooded throughout the entirety of Angry Birds Star Wars, unlike in Star Wars.
- In Angry Birds Star Wars, there actually is a reason Ponda and Evazan dislike Red Skywalker: Red accidentally shoved Ponda into a pickle jar. In Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Ponda and Evazan dislike Luke for no apparent reason.
- Ponda Baba's arm isn't cut off. Instead, Baba has a pickle in his mouth that gets cut in half by Obi-Wan's Lightsaber. This is all most likely due to attempting to make the game kid-friendly, and the fact Baba doesn't have any arms in Angry Birds Star Wars, as he's a pig.
- Red uses his Lightsaber throughout A New Hope, unlike Luke, who only uses it twice in the movie.
- Obi-Wan is never killed on-screen in Angry Birds Star Wars, even though he is killed at the hands of his old apprentice, Darth Vader in A New Hope and is even used in levels based on The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Angry Birds Star Wars II has a similar scenario where characters killed off in canon are still used in the regular episodes.
- Grand Moff Tarkin's role is less major.
- The roles of R2-D2 and C-3PO have become less major.
- Yoda doesn't hide his true identity when he first meets Luke. In The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda hides his identity from Luke and acts eccentric and curious, attempting to teach Luke patience. Luke grows impatient because Yoda wouldn't take Luke to find the Jedi Master Yoda (As at the time, Luke didn't know the creature was Yoda). In Angry Birds Star Wars, none of these events happen.
- Red Skywalker gains a green Lightsaber during the events of The Empire Strikes Back unlike in the Star Wars films where Luke constructs a new green Lightsaber after losing his father's old Lightsaber sometime between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.
- The Wampa is absent for some reason.
- Princess Stella, Chuck Solo, and Terebacca fight in the Main Battle of Hoth.
- This game uses some ideas and sounds from Angry Birds Space.